UComment ("we", "our") provides a new way for you to annotate content on web sites through our annotation-sharing platform.
- Our Policy applies to all visitors, users, and others who access the Service ("Users").
- We collect ONLY information necessary to run the service (cookies for authorization, web server logs, analytics)
- UComment does NOT claim ANY ownership rights in the Content that you post on or through the UComment Services (see Terms of Service)
- We respect your privacy and do not provide your data to any third party. Period.
- Your data (including comments) is neither visible nor available to the site owners (when you post a comment). Comments are added to the page by our browser extension after the page is loaded and respecting the scope of your user (public comments, people you follow)
- The service provides every User with the means to control the privacy of each posted comment (public or followers only) and the scope (open or closed profile).
1. Information we collect
Information you provide us directly:
- Your username, password and e-mail address when you register for an UComment account. Where the password is stored in an encrypted form and not known to us.
- Profile information that you provide for your user profile (e.g. about). This information allows us to help you or others be "found" on UComment.
- User Content (e.g. comments and other materials) that you post to the Service.
- Communications between you and UComment. For example, we may send you Service-related emails (e.g., account verification, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). Note that you may not opt out of Service-related e-mails.
- We use third-party analytics tools to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service. We do our best to run such services on our premises, so that we control data gathering, storage and that no third party has access to it. These tools collect information sent by you or our Service, including the web pages you visit and other information that assists us in improving the Service.
- Whenever running such service on our premises is not feasible (technically or otherwise): we are taking steps to anonymize the data collected, so that it cannot reasonably be used to identify any particular individual User.
Cookies and similar technologies:
Log file information:
- Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you make a request to access (i.e., visit) a web page. It can also be provided when the content of the web page is downloaded to your browser.
- When you use our Service, our servers automatically record certain log file information, including your web request, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, domain names, pages viewed, and other such information. We may also collect similar information from emails sent to our Users which then help us track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service.
2. How we use your information
- help you efficiently access your information after you sign in
- remember information so you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Service (cookies)
- provide, improve, test, and monitor the effectiveness of our Service
- develop and test new products and features
- monitor metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns
- diagnose or fix technology problems
3. Sharing of your information
We will NOT rent or sell your information to third parties outside UComment without your consent, except as noted in this Policy.
Parties with whom we may share your information:
- We may remove parts of data that can identify you and share anonymized data with other parties. We may also combine your information with other information in a way that it is no longer associated with you and share that aggregated information.
- We may share your information as well as information from sources like cookies or log files (such as usage data, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, etc.), with organizations that help us provide the Service to you ("Service Providers"), but strictly on case by case basis and after careful consideration of the risks. In exceptional situations our Service Providers might be given limited access to your information as is reasonably necessary to provide the Service under reasonable confidentiality terms.
Parties with whom you may choose to share your User Content:
- Any information or content that you voluntarily disclose for posting to the Service, such as comments ("User Content"), becomes available to the public, as controlled by any applicable privacy settings that you set (visibility scope, followers). Once you have shared User Content or made it public, that User Content may be re-shared by others.
- Subject to your profile and privacy settings, comments or any User Content that you make public is searchable by other Users.
- If you remove information that you posted to the Service, copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Service.
Instances where we may be required to share your information:
UComment will disclose your information where required to do so by law or by judicial process or if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to:
- comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement
- enforce our Terms of Service
- protect the security or integrity of our Service
- exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of UComment, our Users or others
4. How your information is stored
- Your information collected through the Service may be stored and processed in the European Union or any country in which UComment maintains facilities.
- UComment may transfer information that we collect about you, including personal information across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are located in the U.S. or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from European Union law, please note that we may transfer information, including personal information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction.
- We use reasonable safeguards to help keep the information collected through the Service secure and take reasonable steps (such as requesting a unique password) to verify your identity before granting you access to your account. However, UComment cannot ensure the security of any information you transmit to UComment or guarantee that information on the Service may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed.
- Following termination or deactivation of your account, UComment may retain information (including your profile information) and User Content for a reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
5. Children's privacy
UComment does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for the Service. The Service and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us.
6. Other web sites and services